hopRSS

Thursday, October 28, 2010

8 Tips for Racing in the Rain

Shower Cap Shoe CoversWe had over one inch of rain during the Portland Marathon and Inaugural Half Marathon yesterday on 10-10-10. Although I walk in the rainy Northwest, the same gear you might wear for a workout in the rain is different from what you want on a half marathon, marathon, or even a fast 10K. We gave our race day gear a real soggy shakedown yesterday and I have 8 tips for racing in the rain.

Using free hotel shower caps as shoe covers is a true revelation. My buddy Rachel used this at the similarly-soggy (but also sleety and snowy) Seattle Half Marathon. I've created a step-by-step with photos on how best to use these miracle items.? With all that rain and a road full of puddles, my socks were damp but my shoes were never squishy-wet. The shower caps saved my half marathon.

At a race, you don't worry about whether you look silly (or like a homeless person), because everyone else is also scrambling to find a solution. But it is best to test these out in your training walks beforehand, boldly braving any comments from passersby.

Photo © Wendy Bumgardner 2010

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment