hopRSS

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Zombie Shoes - Dead Shoes Walking

A couple of weeks ago I went out for a long walk for my half marathon training and it seemed every part of my legs wanted to ache and I just felt tired.?? I had felt great over the same course in the same weather the week before.

So, I opened up a box of a new pair of the same model of shoes I had been training with the past three months.? I wore them around my day job for a week and on some shorter walks.? Last weekend, I switched into them for the final two miles of my 11-mile training walk.

This weekend, I walked a full 11 miles in them.? My calves didn't hurt, my knees didn't hurt, and I felt energetic throughout the walk.? I had been walking in zombie shoes - dead shoes walking.? My older training shoes still looked fine.? They didn't have a lot of wear in the heel or sole.? But they were, in fact, dead shoes.? They had lost their cushioning and support in my months of mileage training.

When to Replace Your Walking Shoes

While you may want to save money and wear your shoes until they fall apart, you are risking injury and hurting your fitness walking program.? It is a worthwhile investment in your health to replace your walking shoes every 300 to 600 miles.

When I find a shoe that works for me, I buy two more pairs to have on hand in the closet.? That way I can kill the zombie shoes before they kill my walking training.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment