hopRSS

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Cinque Terre Bans Plastic Water Bottles for Walkers

Manarola Cinque TerreOne of my favorite walking days of my life was the day I walked the path along the Cinque Terre coastline in Italy.? Photos of walking the Cinque Terre

It's likely that I carried along a refillable plastic water bottle, as do the other three million tourists who visit there each year.? The region has tired of the two million plastic water bottles they toss each year and now has banned plastic water bottles.? They will sell reusable metal flasks for 1 Euro and are installing new water fountains with filtered water - chilled, fizzy and still water.

This is really quite a deal, considering the price of bottled water. The authorities have tested the water mains and determined the water is as pure (or more pure) as bottled water.? I would quibble that my reusable (although plastic) water bottle should be acceptable as well.? Sometimes I can taste metal flavor from steel water bottles such as Klean Kanteen, although the Sigg aluminum bottles seem not to have this problem. I would love to return, walk, and drink from the new fountains.
Photo © Wendy Bumgardner


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment