hopRSS

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Walk For Farm Animals

The annual Walk for Farm Animals will take place in cities throughout the USA and Canada in September and October.? This charity walk series supports Farm Sanctuary, an organization that "works to protect farm animals from cruelty, inspire change in the way society views and treats farm animals, and promote compassionate vegan living."

The Biggest Loser's Bob Harper is the celebrity spokesperson for the Walk for Farm Animals.? He supports it because he is a vegan and he grew up on a family farm where the animals were treated much more humanely than on a modern factory farm. He credits a vegan diet with helping him drop his cholesterol level by 100 points.

Personally, I am an omnivore (I eat meat), but like Bob I grew up in a farming community of family farms that raised the milk, eggs, chicken, beef and pork that we ate. Reading "The Omnivore's Dilemma," "Fast Food Nation" and other books that make me think deeper about food, I have no love of factory farms and I prefer to shop at farmers markets to support local, small farmers. But? I shy away from any animal rights activism.

Are you a vegan, vegetarian, or omnivore? How does that fit into a healthy, active lifestyle?


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment