hopRSS

Sunday, November 14, 2010

One Month to the Half Marathon or Marathon

It's one month until my next half marathon walk, and I am in the final training phase.

Shoes: I've started wearing a new pair of the same model of shoes I've been training in, so they will be properly broken in (and my feet used to this pair) but still have low mileage and good support and cushioning for the event. Sports Drink: I've checked the race web site to find out what kind of sports drink they are providing on the course.? They are providing a drink that replenishes salts but has no carbs, so I'll have to bring my own energy gel or energy bars if I need carbs on the course.? It is wise to train with the same sports drink that is provided on the course, or plan to bring along your own.Clothing and Gear: I'm training wearing the shirt, shorts, sports bra, socks, shoes, hat and pack I'll be wearing on race day.? That way I'll know ahead of time what works well. I won't be surprised that my cell phone doesn't fit in my pack, as happened to me one year.Blister and Chafing Prevention: I have been using the same blister-prevention prep that I will use during the event. Don't experiment with anything new at the event, test it out now. I got shocked at a winter half marathon when the cold and wind led to unexpected thigh chafing, so I'll be sure to pack along a Blister Shield towlette just in case something weird happens next month.Partners: I've been training both alone and with my walking buddies who will be at the race.? In the end, I'll probably encourage them to go their own pace and I'll go mine, that has worked well for me.? It is best to work that out with your walking partners before the race.Race Day Planning: I know where the race starts and ends and how I plan to get there and back. Now we just need to plan the after-party!Long Mileage and Tapering: I'll be walking long mileage on the next three weekends, then the weekend before the event I'll be cutting back to a shorter-mileage day - tapering.? That allows the body to do final repair (including healing any blisters) and keeps your energy high for the race the next weekend.? If I were tapering for a marathon, I would do my longest mileage three weeks before the marathon and cut back for the two weekends before.

The Month Before Your Marathon or Half Marathon


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment