hopRSS

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

How to Prepare for a Rainy Walk?

Rachel Spanks at rainy half marathonI'll be walking the half marathon distance of the Portland Marathon this weekend, and the weather prediction is for showers.? I'm used to walking in our Northwest drizzle, but it is an added challenge when you are in a big race event and trying to go a fast pace.? Even the breathable waterproof jackets become steamy.

One thing I've learned is that bare legs are better than wet pants.? As the temperature will be cool but not too cold, I will stick with shorts even in the rain.? Depending on how the radar report looks on race morning, I'll either take a cheap compact rain poncho or my usual waterproof jacket.? I don't want to end up carrying the jacket for most of the race, so if it's not looking like steady rain, I'll just take the cheapo rain poncho.

The biggest problem will be wet shoes.? I have waterproof shoes, but I haven't trained in them for a half marathon distance.? I'll wear the shoes I've been doing the distance training in. I'll take along some hotel shower caps -- my walking buddy Rachel discovered that if you use them as shoe covers, you can keep out the rain for hours.

What about an umbrella? That will work for people from 48 of the 50 states, but I'm from the Pacific Northwest. We rarely use umbrellas. We wear jackets with hoods instead. That way you never forget to bring it along.

Photo ? Rachel Spanks


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment